The Enterprise Development Center (EDC) will host the Girl Starter Tour as it makes its way across 10 cities on the East Coast. The EDC, located on the campus of NJIT in Newark, is a cooperative and resourceful ecosystem for startups and small-businesses and part of New Jersey Innovation Institute (NJII), an NJIT corporation that applies the entrepreneurial and technical resources of the state’s science and technology university to challenges identified by industry cluster partners.
From finding the right working space and attracting investment capital, to building staff and developing effective business plans and marketing strategies, the EDC supports companies as they work to become profitable businesses and dynamic participants in the economic life of New Jersey and the nation.
The Girl Starter Tour will be situated on NJIT’s Lot 5 replete with a tent, pop-up shop, live casting area and speaker stage where Newark’s foremost entrepreneurs, academic leaders, innovators and technologists will discuss entrepreneurship. Auditions will take place:
June 16, 2017 from Noon to 5 p.m. (Signups start at Noon)
June 17, 2017 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Signups start at 10 a.m.)
Free parking will be provided in the NJIT parking deck located on 154 Summit Street. For directions to NJIT, visit: njit.edu/about/visit/gettingtonjit.php.
Judith Sheft, NJIT/NJII associate vice president of technology and enterprise development, will be speaking on the #LocalFocus Panel of Newark Support for Businesses alongside the Newark Community Economic Development Corporation (CEDC) and Rutgers’ Black and Latino Tech Initiative.
Marjorie Perry, president and CEO of MZM Construction, EDC client-company, and NJIT board of overseer, will make the keynote address. Perry is one of New Jersey’s leading innovators, public speakers and role models for women and minorities in business. A self-made entrepreneur that has led and sustained a multimillion dollar construction company for 24 years has made Perry a coveted inspirational speaker and writer, motivating people with the message that, “You, too, can do it!”
About Girl Starter: On the heels of the successful first season on TLC, Girl Starter is casting for season two of the popular reality competition TV series.
If you are between the ages of 17 and 23, have the starter spirit and want to compete for $100,000 in funding for your next big thing, then audition in person for the show’s producers at NJIT June 16 and 17. No preparation or prior experience is required.
NYC based beauty and fashion influencers will get you camera ready for your audition with tips, makeovers and giveaways!
In addition to auditions, the days’ events will include:
- Live Streaming all day from the Power Center powered by Staples, featuring interactive workshops, panels with surprise guest stars, and networking with the girls of season one of Girl Starter.
- Walk through the 6 Steps of Early Phase Business Building – the Start It Program, in the Start It Center
- Shop for a good cause in the Vera Bradley Summer Fun Shop, featuring the bags designed on the show, Girl Starter, with all proceeds going to the Vera Bradley Breast Cancer Foundation
- Hang with beauty and fashion influencers in the Girls’ Lounge, sample giveaways and connect.
- Take fun photos and get tips on securing your own business in the AT&T pavilion.
- Explore your inner adventurer in the U.S. Air Force’s interactive Center.
- The Power Center Speaker Series:
#Starter Hacks: Living in Style on a Startup Budget
#The Power of Perception: The impact of social media on your success
Here’s the Pitch: a Live Pitch Competition
#Guy Starters: Guys make things happen, too.
Contact: Sara Schwartz: firstname.lastname@example.org